So, the “swiss coffee” batch didn’t work out all that well. A week after cutting, it’s still pretty soft. Darn the luck. So, I rebatched about a pound and a half of it today. Mixed it with about 2 cups of milk, and added some additional fragrance notes. One set I added orange and cinnamon…which works really well with the coffee and chocolate notes, and the other batch I added vanilla and cinnamon and that seems to work really well too. I still have about 5 pounds of the batch that are in bars…I’m hoping that they harden up so I don’t have to rebatch them as well. Rebatching is a pain in the butt…I tell you what.
On the upside, I made a batch of lavender – violet soap that I think will be just magnificent when it’s cut. Beautiful violet speckles in a blue soap…so pretty.
Anyway, after much market research, I’ve narrowed the name down to two choices: Al-kali and Al-kami. (Say them out loud) Here’s the logic behind them: Alkali is the base material that mixed with oils makes soap. It was discovered a zillion years ago in egypt and named after the flower which was discovered to create the salts from which lye and analogs thereof are made. The flower is actuall al-qili, but in English, it’s alkali. Al’kami is a play on the word Alchemy…a bit of which is necessary to make good soap, create yummy fragrance blends, and generally be willing to stick your hands and face into a pot full of boiling lye…so ya know.
I like both. I like the fact that both of them, while not actually Arabic, still feel Arabic and will allow me to use some Middle Eastern themes in my marketing and my recipes. Neither word is available domain-wise, because they’re both being camped by squatters and I refuse to pay a squatter for a domain name. Both, however have iterations that are available.