Baby gots da blues

So, the boy has finger paints. Who knew the boy had figured out how to get in the paint box AND how to open the paints? Silly mommy left the room for, I swear to you, less than 4 minutes. I came back to a blue child. Somehow, in under five minutes, he’d become a Pict. Or Mel Gibson. Either way, he was blue.

To cap off the blues experience, as we were leaving the game room to go wash the blue off, Aretha Franklin came on PBS. And the Boy said “Wait, WAIT!” And I said, “what?”. He replied…”Queen of Soul! I wants to see the Queen of Soul!” Now, you and I know that Aretha is the Queen of Soul…but how on earth did my 2 year old, know that she is, indeed, the Q of S? (Although, ya know, to give him props…he *did* have the blues…all over him.)

19 Comments

• merina wrote:

Well, at least you got him before he started on the re-decorating!

• arianadii wrote:

No picture of pictish baby?

• tygerize wrote:

Maybe he remembers the Queen of Soul from a previous life?

• spiderfarmer wrote:

Well, he got the table, but it cleaned up easily. :)

• spiderfarmer wrote:

The husband said the same thing. ;) Naturally, it happened on a day when the cameras were on a different floor…and cleaning off the blue before it got on the walls seemed a pretty high priority. ;)

• spiderfarmer wrote:

Well…once you know Aretha…you can’t ever forget her. ;)

• estoile wrote:

That is just the most gorgeous story!!!

The boy has serious potential. Potential for exactly what, I couldn’t say — but definitely serious potential ;-)

And excellent taste in music, to boot.

• spiderfarmer wrote:

Yeah, he’s a hoot. :) I need to scan some of his paintings in…his color work is really astounding. I mean, astounding for someone my age…really amazing for a kidlet. (Of course, I am his mother, so I may be the tiniest bit partial.) ;)

• That’s the best story I’ve heard in a while. The Boy is so cute. And, has good taste!

• dreamalynn wrote:

What did you expect? That you would have a child who was anything less than a bonafide genius?

• spiderfarmer wrote:

Dreama! You goddess, you! How goes the gestation?

• spiderfarmer wrote:

Yeah, despite various meltdowns, I think I’ll keep him. ;)

He really is the cutest thing. :)

• dreamalynn wrote:

Perking away like a Mr. Coffee. :D

• estoile wrote:

Of course you’re partial — that’s your job!

But I have no doubt that you are also entirely right. With such a visually creative Mama it would be astonishing if the kidlet didn’t have a great eye for colour & composition. Enjoy it. Nurture it. Praise it to the skies!

And do, please, scan it & share with the world ;-)

• spiderfarmer wrote:

Ya know…I dunno how you do it. I’m overwhelmed with one…9 would kill me, it would. Bless your heart. :)

• spiderfarmer wrote:

Well, and the stories he tells to go with them are just amazing. He did one the other day that was various shades of blues and purples, with splashes of yellow and orange at the top…and he said it was “The sun coming out to play with the ducks, because the ducks were sad because of all the rain.” And yesterday, he did one that was all yellows and reds and said that it was a “dinosaur volcano, because dinosaurs got cold at night”.

• estoile wrote:

Great stories! The kid has a fine imagination indeed. And I like the caretaking slant he’s got going, too: it shows good empathy.

JB’s not much of a painter (more a Lego-builder), but he when he does, he tells great stories about the pictures. I generally try to write them down in a blank part of the picture, so the stories get equal time. A couple have involved adding tiny numbers at various points, to illustrate the progress of the tale ;-)

He’s a good kid, that mini-Pict of yours. And you’re a good mama, too.

• spiderfarmer wrote:

He’s a good kid, that mini-Pict of yours. And you’re a good mama, too.

Right back atcha, darlin. :) Right back atcha. :) *hugs*